Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Goddard House and Cabot Park Village

During February break, I visited the Goddard House in Brookline, an assissted living community and Cabot Park Village in Newton,  an independent senior community.  Paul McDonald, a very upbeat and enthusiastic professional storyteller - or as he calls himself "the bad penny that keeps coming back!" invited me to talk at the Goddard House after seeing my article in the Boston Globe.  After my presentations there, Chris Kjellson and Paul asked me very different kinds of questions.  Paul wanted to know what kind of tree I would be if I were going to be one.  He also asked how I would explain any of my trees to a blind person.  I told the group that I would like to be a Maple tree because I like the colors of the leaves and I like the sweetness of the maple syrup.  If I were gig to explain a tree to a blind person, I would use it with the following poem by  Joyce Kilmer that we had just discussed in the group.


Trees












I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree. 


Renee Shapiro, one of the residents at Cabot Park Village invited me to talk and we had a very interesting and lively discussion.  They will be publishing an article about my visit in their monthly newsletter.

Thank you both for being such supportive fans!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment